Monday, August 2, 2010

Garden Bounty

First tomato! Yum!
A froggy in the garden

Today I will pick the first ripe tomato in my garden! This year I'm also growing peas, beans, lettuce, cukes, peppers, basil, carrots, squash, and maybe eggplants (if they get their act together), but tomatoes are why I plant a garden.
I've proposed a garden celebration book to a publisher---we'll see what happens!
If you have a surplus in your garden this year, consider what my young UU friend here is doing. She and her mom and brother stop by the farmers' market each week at the end of the day, gather donations of unsold-but-still-delicious produce, and take them to the local soup kitchen. Healthy food for the hungry, and a great way for kids to get the Big Picture.
from Mystery Vine, 2009.

1 comment:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It has been a while since I have seen someone referred to as a UU friend. I assume it is code for Uniarian Universalist. There is a lot of surplus food around in the harvest season. The problem is getting it distributed to the right people in need and in a still fresh condition. Good effort on the part of your UU friends.