Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Home invasion and abduction




I'm working on a new book right now. Rainbow Stew (to be published by Lee & Low Books) won't be out until next year, but the artwork must be done by June. Many of the scenes take place in a kitchen, and I was having trouble configuring three kids and their Grandpa into various views of the interior. A smarter person would have used her very own kitchen in the first place, but since I didn't, it became increasingly more difficult to visualize everything in the correct location. So....I built a model: a doll kitchen, if you will, with cut-up cracker and cereal boxes. Worked like a charm. That is, until the invasion...
After trashing the doll kitchen, Freida and Suzie (captured in the act, above) continued their diabolical plan. They are holding the youngest child hostage until I pay off with Fancy Feast.
Ah, the trials and tribulations of a children's book maker....

No comments: